Bilbao is a city in northern Spain, the largest city in the province of Biscay and in the Basque Country as a whole. Bilbao is the new modern face of the Basque Country. The city has been able to successfully mix traditional Basque culture with a new vision for the future. It is an absolute must for design and culture lovers.1. Good reasons to come to Bilbao
2. Getting around Bilbao
3. Top sights
4. Top sights nearby Bilbao
eleven museums make up an important part of that. They cover a wide variety of themes and concepts, allowing visitors to discover local history, experience universal art, see interesting mergers of form and content and, above all, enjoy human creativity. You can also enjoy a tour throughout the city by professionals in order to get to know Basque culture and the history of Bizkaia's capital.
Bilbao is also the main gateway to the whole Basque Country (the other two Basque provincial capitals are less than an hour away by car), which means more museums to visit with an interesting tapestry of settings and contents.
The icon of the transformation of Bilbao is the Guggenheim Bilbao Museum with its stunning architecture, the work of Frank Gehry, of which you have probably heard already. You have to come and see for yourself how design and architecture impregnate the whole city, starting with the Paseo de Abandoibarra, very close to the museum itself, an undeniably charming area where tourists and locals, joggers and families, mix and meet every day.
The best areas to eat pintxos are the old town of Bilbao, Poza & García Rivero streets, Ledesma Street and Diputación area.
coast, urban avant-garde and a green interior full of surprises. On your journey you will walk through the most majestic landscapes, with mountains that rise to the sky in our three Natural Parks, valleys where quiet meadows are drawn, farmhouses with their orchards, spectacular cliffs or Green Ways.
You will closely observe the diverse autochthonous fauna, you will be able to submerge underground to discover the treasures that hide our caves, wrapped in myths and legends. Do you enjoy mountain climbing? Visit Mount Gorbeia, 1,481 metres above sea level, to the roof of the Basque Country.
Visiting Bilbao without having to carry coins in your pocket is as easy as getting a Barik card that will make easier for you to get to the most tourist areas of the city, or a Bilbao Card that also gives you access to a wide range of discounts. You can buy them at the Tourist Offices or buy them on-line.
Getting around Bilbao is easy; from the centre to the Casco Viejo (old quarter) there are only 2,5km, making it simple to travel on foot or by bike. The city has modern, efficient, sustainable public transportation systems, so you can move:
- By metro: The Metro Bilbao was designed by Sir Norman Foster. It allows you to get around the city in a comfortable way; to visit numerous nearby towns such as Santurtzi or Portugalete; or to visit the beaches of Sopela and Plentzia.
- By tram: Nowadays they make the Atxuri-Basurto route, with a central course that vertebrates the Abandoibarra area, with stops in front of several architectural landmarks, such as the Arriaga , the Guggenheim, or the San Mamés.
- By city bus: You can also travel within the city by using one of the 43 city bus lines that the city has
- By bicycle: In Bilbao there is an automatic bicycle loan service and numerous rental companies of conventional and electric bicycles.
- By boat: The company Bilboats offers you two maritime-cultural visits.
- Artxanda funicular: You will find this funicular next to the Paseo del Campo Volantín and it allows you to get to the top of Mount Artxanda, where you will be able to contemplate beautiful views.